August 21st, 2008
This is like the list of books that you have or have not read, only it involves food (yum). So bold the food you've eaten, strike through the stuff you would never eat, and underline what you'd like to try. I ended up counting what wasn't bolded, and have eaten 82 of the things on the list. I'll try just about anything (except for Spam and Big Macs, as you will see, and no more bugs EVER). ( The List!Collapse )
June 25th, 2008
Swiped from Karnythia
The Big Read thinks the average adult has only read six of the top 100 books they've printed below.
01. Look at the list and bold those you have read.
02. Italicise those you intend to read
03. Underline the books you LOVE.
04. Reprint this list in your own LJ so we can try and track down these people who've only read 6 and force books upon them.( MY LISTCollapse )
February 12th, 2008
Godwin. It's not just for the internet anymore.
January 31st, 2008
I finally got off my butt (and out of class) long enough to destash a bit today! There was a call put out on Ravelry to the NY knitters for yarn and supply donations. They will be used in a fiber arts class being taught to low income, mostly terminally ill people in NYC.
No better time to destash then now, huh? Fortunately (ish), I lost my mind at Smiley's Yarns
early last year. Oh, did I have plans! I was going to knit a huge blue afghan. I was going to knit baby sweaters for my cousin's twin girl and boy (with scarves and hats and mittens). I was going to make a big hoodie sweater out of lilac colored chunky acrylic (it was the 1 dollar a skein thing that got me, normally I have better sense, I swear). And more.
So by November I had started basically nothing. I turned most of that afghan yarn into hats for the homeless between November and early December. I tripled or even quadrupled the stranding and used a knitting loom. And I made big men's hats. Since each skein had like 250 yds in it, I made A LOT of hats before I ran out of steam (and had to face up to studying for my organic chem final).
But I had a ton of yarn taking up closet space. So, now I am finally putting it to good use. ( STASH PIC!Collapse )
Alas, Wilbur will miss his precious yarn. He just loves breaking into the yarn cupboard and festively redecorating the house with knitted hats and skeins of yarn.
January 27th, 2008
I finished. I actually finished the damn fingerless gloves. If Eric doesn't weep and kiss my feet with gratitude I will have to shoot him.
You would think a basic pattern would go smoothly, right? Nope! I had to cast on 4 times for the second one too! One time I was getting ladders, which I did not have a problem with on the first glove. I think my 1x1 ribbing was too loose.
Then I knit all the way up the body of the glove and tried it on. And then measured it. HOW IN THE HELL DID I GET 5.5 STITCHES PER INCH WITH SOCK YARN AND SIZE #2 US NEEDLES?????
Cast on three was thwarted by a messed up bar increase on the thumb gusset. My attempts at fixing it produced holes. Big holes. Even Eric would notice, and he's like most of the other unobservant guys out there.
Cast on 4 was the charm. I finally finished them today. They should have been done on thursday.
Ah well. School starts tomorrow and they're finished, that's all that matters.
January 25th, 2008
Ok, last post for today.
But I just had to show off the glove. It's my first! It's for my friend Eric. I met him in chemistry class at school. He is a former sound guy/musician going back to school for engineering. Very kinda punk/alternative look, complete with long hair and leather jacket. He used to wear a pair of neon green fingerless gloves, but lost them.
And replaced them with a pair of light pint and white striped gloves with little pastel buttons that he like found on the street or something. Yeah, they so didn't go with the jacket. Plus, they have fingertips. So I'm knitting him a replacement pair of fingerless gloves.
I'm using the Hooray For Me Gloves pattern by Marnie MacLean. Hooray For Me Gloves pattern
AKA: The Constantly Frogged Gloves of Doom. First, I managed to not notice screwing up the 1x1 ribbing. Frog once. The, I violated rule #1 of knitting: don't knit after 4 or 5 cocktails. Oh yeah, I messed up the thumb gusset because, apparently, after 5 drinks I can't count to 18. Frog #2.
Then, I knit it and it was great, finished the thumb gusset, knit up some more, thought it looked kinda big. Tried it on (he is one of those very tall small boned guys, so his hand is only a little bigger than mine). It DWARFS my hand. SAY WHAT? How did that happen? Breaking out the ruler, I find that it is because I was getting 6 stitches and change to the inch. With sock yarn. With size 2 DPNs. This is shocking to me, because I ALWAYS knit in gauge. It's actually a joke with the ladies at my LYS. They think its hilarious that every swatch I have ever done has been perfectly, flawlessly, in gauge. But somehow I was getting 6 stitches per inch instead of the 8.5 per inch called for, using basically the same yarn.
Right, so I frogged a third time. I reduced by 8 stitches and knit it. Ah, it worked. Now I just have to knit the other one. ( THE GLOVE!Collapse )
And the posting frenzy continues!
Sculpture class was decent. I really enjoy sculpting. I enjoy painting too, but there is an element of frustration there that I don't get when I sculpt. I think it's because I have more of a knack for sculpting, and things just seem to work out. Plus, it's clay. If I mess up, one smoosh is all it takes erase it.
We did 3 object. One gigantic fruit or veggie, one copy of a plaster cast of a fist holding a rod, and one gigantic copy of a seashell.
The fist was actually pretty frustrating at first. My sculpture professor (aka, the evil bitch), kept insisting on "helping" by cutting and recutting the angles on our fists if she felt we were going a bit off or getting too rounded. It went something like this: "hmm, I think that you need to make this a bit steeper, like so... OOPS! Darn it, I cut too much. Well, you'll just have to repair this yourself." After she did this to me a third time, I took the damn thing home and finished it overnight the day before it was due. ( pics of the fistCollapse )
And then, the ginormous seashell. This one was kinda fun. It is a base on like a torpedo shaped piece of clay. The overhang of the shell is of wire mesh covered in clay, and some of the larger bumps and the spikes are wire covered in clay. Time consuming, but enjoyable to do. ( pics of the shellCollapse )
Oh, and I call her the evil bitch for good reason. She was just plain old mean. And kinda only half lucid sometimes. This is aside from her deep, gutteral cough every 2 minutes or so, always coughing over us without covering her mouth, which just added to the icky. First, she kept griping about the kids in the class who didn't have flawless english. Yes, one guy had a very thick Chinese accent. But his english was good, you just had to listen intently. Muttering about how badly those "damn asians" are "trained" is highly inappropriate.
Also, I missed one class due to a HIDEOUS migraine. Vomiting, black spots, you name it. See, I have post concussion syndrome (much improved now) and 4 or 5 times a year I get debilitating migraines (down from 1 to 2 times a week, so I'm not complaining). I asked to make up the class, and she said yes, so I went to another one of her classes. Where she proceeded to go off on me, screaming at me for cutting her class to study for a test and how I disrespected her. Then she started to mock me and my post concussion syndrome, and going on about how "convenient" my migraines must be.
Turns out she mistook me for a student in a different class. A black girl. Who is nearly 6 feet tall. I stand about 5'5", have pale skin and red hair.
I had a lot of fun filling out her professor evaluation form. Lots and lots of fun.
So, to apply for MAs in art conservation, I need a portfolio of actual artwork. And studio art classes taken for credit. SCARY! I've spent the last 26 years making stick figures, so this was hard. So last semester I took drawing, painting and sculpture. My paintings came out ok. We were learning by copying, or taking strong inspiration from, actual paintings.
So for my first painting ever, I chose a Van Gogh. Skull With Burning Cigarette
This is my version. It was really hard to get the textures Van Gogh used with acrylic paint, but we couldn't use oils in the class. ( my versionCollapse )
And this was my second painting. I had started a Georgia O'Keefe landscape, but hated it and told my prof that I couldn't stand the sight of it anymore. This made him very happy, and he said I was on my way to being a true artist.
So I switched to a Monet. Sunset in Venice
There are actually two versions of this, and I mostly followed the one I linked to, but took a bit of inspiration for the sky from a slightly different version.( my paintingCollapse )
I need a lot more practice! But I think they're ok for my first two attempts at painting. Plus, they will look better with a little clear varnish. I am taking painting again, so my prof and I will discuss which type to use next semester.
He also said I can do an oil at home and take it in periodically for guidance and use it as one of the three required this semester.
Ok, I'm bad. I know I haven't updated since about, er, May. I kind of lost my motivation, then things got really busy. But here I am again, and I'm going to really try to keep up with this.
Today I finally got around to photographing some of my knitting and artwork, so I'll be updating in future posts.
May 15th, 2007
Swiped from Mamlambo who got it from Ladycrim.
1. You can press a button that will make any one person explode. Who would you blow up?
- My best friend's meeeeeeeeean and nasty boyfriend.
2. You can flip a switch that will wipe any band or musical artist out of existence. Which one will it be?
- R Kelly. Between the kiddies and the "opera video" he wins hands down.
3. Who would you really just like to punch in the face?
- See #1. Also, the man who spit on my foot today.
4. What is your favorite cheese?
- I have to pick just one??? Damn. Ok. I suppose Garrotxa. But I also lurve a good aged cheddar. And gorgonzola. And Saint Andre. And the goat cheese marinated in truffle oil that my local cheese place makes.
5. You can only have one kind of sandwich. Every sandwich ingredient is at your immediate disposal. What kind will you make?
- Pan Bagnat. Hollowed out baguette spread with chopped tomatoes, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, dijon and then a salad of tuna, anchovies, lettuce, tons of basil, weighted down for a few hours.
6. You, Elvis, and Princess Diana are in a dog sled, fleeing across the Siberian wasteland with wolves in hot pursuit. The wolves are catching up fast. Who would you throw out to gain speed and why?
- Both. They're dead already, might as well maximize the chances.
7. You have the opportunity to sleep with the movie celebrity of your choice. We are talking no strings attached sex and it can only happen once. Who is the lucky celebrity?
- Orlando Bloom, yum.
8. You have the opportunity to sleep with the music celebrity of your choice. Who do you pick?
- Josh Groban. I would make him sing to me while giving me a massage.
9. Now that you've slept with two different people in a row, you seem to be having an excellent day because you just came across a one hundred dollar bill on the sidewalk. Holy Shit. How are you gonna spend it?
- Dinner at Babbo!
10. You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you gonna go?
- To Rome to visit Mamsie again.
11. Upon arrival to the aforementioned location, you get off the plane and discover another one hundred dollar bill. Now that you are in a new location, what are you gonna do?
- Dinner and cocktails with Mamsie!
12. Your dream date. Who, where, and why?
- Orlando Bloom. In Rome. Do I really need to explain that one?
13. An angel appears out of heaven and offers you a lifetime supply of the alcoholic beverage of your choice. It is?
- Well, I would say wine. But right now I totally have a vodka angel because one of my friends does advertising for Absolut. Anyone in NYC want some vodka?
14. Okay, girls and gay guys stand over here, guys and lesbians, over there. Girls and gay guys first: You're in bed with Marilyn Monroe, Doris Day, and Salma Hayek. Who's gonna be the lucky girl? And similarly, guys and lesbians: You're in bed with Cary Grant, Paul Newman, and Johnny Depp. Who's gonna be the lucky guy? Give your reasons.
- Salma, she's the hottest.
15. Rufus appears out of nowhere with a time traveling/phone booth. you can go anytime in the PAST. What time are you traveling to and what are you going to do when you get there?
- To a day before a huge ass Mega Millions drawing and I'm buying the winning ticket.
16. You discover a beautiful island upon which you may build your own society. You make the rules. What is the first rule that you put into place?
- Walking around flaunting your stupid will get you banished.
17. You have been given the opportunity to create the half hour TV show of your dreams. What is it called and what is its premise?
- Dunno the title, but it's me travelling around the world doing awesome things.
18. What is your favorite curse word?
- I love saying bloody hell.
19. You have a choice of two doors. One of which you MUST go through. The first leads to a roomful of spiders, the second to a roomful of clowns. Which is it to be?
- I've never understood the fear of clowns. And spiders are gross.
20. Your house is on fire. You have just enough time to run in there and grab one inanimate object. So what's the item?
- cell phone
21. One night, you wake up because you heard a noise. You turn on the light to find that you are surrounded by mummies. The mummies aren't really doing anything, they're just standing around your bed. What do you do?
- Go back to sleep. Mummies don't bother me. No, really.
22. You have George W.Bush and Osama bin Laden locked in a small room together. It's airtight, so both are gonna suffocate anyway, but what amusing weapon do you give them?
- Beans (I stole that from Mamsie cause it rocks)
23. The angel of death has descended upon you. Fortunately, the angel of death is pretty cool and in a good mood and it offers you a half hour to do whatever you want before you bite it. What are you going to do in that half hour?
- Quick! Get Orlando Bloom!
24. Truthfully, what underwear are you currently wearing?
- Underwear? ;-)
25. You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good and what's even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice. What is it going to be?
26. You can re-live any point of time in your life. The time span can only be a half hour, though. What half hour of your past would you like to experience again?
- I'm not saying this one.
27. Moses trips on his robe and drops the stone tablets. Commandment 11 is broken off. He leaves it there as his back is killing him. What does it say?
- Don't be an asshole.
28. You can erase any horrible experience of your past. What will it be?
- Not going there either.
29. You get kicked out of the country for being a time traveling heathen who sleeps with celebrities and has super powers. But, you can move to anywhere else in the world. What country are you going to live in now?
- I'm going to Italy to live in Rome.
30. What part of your body would you change and why?
- My stomach. Darn thing won't form a 6-pack no matter how many ab exercises I do.
31. You have been eternally banned from every single bar in the world except for ONE. Which one is it going to be?
- The bar at Wild Salmon. My friend is dating the sommelier, there's a wide screen TV for Yankees games and they serve the best fried calamari ever.
32. What's the last thing you ate?
- Coban salad
33. Suddenly you have gained the power to float. Who are you going to show this to first?
- Someone who is annoying me.
34. The constant absorption of magical moonbeams mixed with the radio-active vegetables you consumed earlier has given you the power to resurrect the dead celebrity of your choice. So which celebrity will you bring back to life?
- River Phoenix
35. The celestial gates of Beyond have opened. Much to your surprise, Death appears. As it turns out, once again, Death is actually a pretty cool entity and happens to be in a fantastic mood. Death offers to return the friend/family member/person of your choice to the living world. Who will you bring back?
- Let's not talk about that.
36. What's your theme song?
- You Learn, Alanis Morissette
37. When did you last have sex?
- End of February this year.
38. Buffy, Willow, or Xander?
- Willow. Yay for redheads!
39. Who's up next?
- Does anyone still read my blog?